Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Daily Gauntlet

Don´t get me wrong, Cusco is amazing. The people, the climate, the views...all wonderful. And I understand that people have to make a living, be it as a dentist, police officer, teacher, circus clown or whatever. But there´s something about how many people in Cusco make a living that I find intriguing--and sometimes exhausting. Now don´t take this the wrong way. I´m certainly in no position to criticize how folks earn an income. Note: I´m unemployed. But after two weeks here, I´m somewhat awe-struck by the shear volume of people who are intent to sell me postcards, massages, painted ghords, and...yes, finger puppets. Oh, and less I forget the jungle tours, mountain tours, rafting trips, cell phones, paintings, newspapers, Incan music CDs, Quechua dictionaries, Spanish dictionaries, alpaca sweaters, corn on the cob, ice cream, cigarettes, bottled water and weed. Honest, on any given morning, we have the opportunity to buy not just one or two of the items listed above, but EVERY item above. And I´m certain that I´ve forgotten a few things. But again, who am I to criticize.

No comments: